Bachmann 32-076DC Class 56XX Tank 6671 BR Lined Green with Late Crest DCC On Board
OO Gauge 1:76 Scale Class 56xx 0-6-2 tank loco 6671 in BR lined green with late crest (DCC on-board) DCC decoder fitted. Analogue compatible
The 5600 Class 0-6-2 tank engines were designed by C B Collett and were introduced in 1924. The class was originally designed to work in South Wales, to replace elderly locomotives inherited at the Grouping, which took place in 1923 and were now worn out. Their design followed Great Western Railway practice, in that standard parts were used as far as possible. Included in Collett's innovations were a standard boiler that was suitable for the 5600 and the locomotives that preceded it, complete with traditional copper-capped chimney and safety valves bonnet. The 5600 class engines had the distinction of being the only locomotive of 0-6-2 wheel arrangement on the GWR. They were a tank engine of substantial size, weighing 62tons 18cwt, and were 37ft 6ins long while the side tanks could hold 1900 gallons of water. One hundred of the class were built. Owing to the pressure of work at the GWR workshops at Swindon, a number were built by outside contractors resulting in minor differences. In 1927 another hundred similar tanks were constructed, this was designated the 6600 Class, and was slightly heavier. All the locomotives that made up the two classes passed into nationalisation, and remained in service until 1960, at which time they were withdrawn from service quite rapidly.
The railways of South Wales seem to have had a particular liking for the 0-6-2T type. This was because the nature of the work they undertook demanded high adhesive weight, plenty of power with good braking ability, but no need for outright speed, nor large tanks or bunker as the distances from pit to port were short. The 0-6-2 configuration was discovered to confidently handle the sharp curves so prevalent in the area. These Welsh locomotives were taken over by the GWR at the Grouping in 1922, as follows: